Revision of Donau Soja / Europe Soya Standard
Opening of public consultation
Donau Soja has started the revision process of the Donau Soja / Europe Soya Standard.
In the revision we are considering feedback received by our members and partners, and suggestions for improvement received for example as part of benchmarking procedures. The regular revision of our standards is a commitment to continuous improvement.
Donau Soja invites all stakeholders in the soya value chain to participate in the public consultation which will be open from 15th July to 15th September 2020.
What to expect?
One of the aims of the revision is to make the criteria for the Donau Soja / Europe Soya Standard more explicit; especially the underlying requirements of the EU legislative framework in relevant areas like Good Agricultural Practices, environmental and biodiversity protection, social and labor rights. We have also added new requirements in the areas of responsible land use and biodiversity protection as well as reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
As first step of the standard revision process Donau Soja has therefore
- defined 10 Principles of Donau Soja / Europe Soya cultivation
- created a glossary that goes along with the 10 Donau Soja / Europe Soya principles and explains all relevant terms and definitions
- updated the Donau Soja / Europe Soya Standard documents to fit with the new principles and criteria
- introduced 4 new risk categories in its inspection system
Most of the criteria within the principles have already been part of the Donau Soja / Europe Soya system and are now only more explicitely mentioned. But we have also included new principles and criteria, such as the new Principle 9: Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. We are especially looking forward to your thoughts and comments on this topic.
How to comment?
Please send your comments and remarks on the Donau Soja / Europe Soya Standard revision to standard(at)donausoja.org.
All relevant documents are available via the following links:
- Donau Soja Standard version for public consultation 2020 and Annex for public consultation (Donau Soja principles of soya cultivation, Glossary, Applicable Legislation and International Conventions, Risk Categories for Integrity Audits)
- Europe Soya Standard version for public consultation 2020 and Annex for public consultation (Europe Soya principles of soya cultivation, Glossary, Applicable Legislation and International Conventions, Risk Categories for Integrity Audits)*
*Please note: It is sufficient to comment either on the Europe Soya Standard and its Annex or on the Donau Soja Standard and its Annex, as the only difference between the documents lies in their respective geographic scope. Donau Soja is limited to the Danube region and Europe Soya to whole Europe