LATEST NEWS ON THE GMO SITUATION IN UKRAINE
- On October 18, 2018 in Kyiv city, Ukraine the Donau Soja initiated organization of a panel discussion on the topic “Non-GMO soybean production: market potential for development of oil and fat industry” within the framework of the II Annual Oil-and-Fat Industry Conference organized by the ProAgro Group Information Company.
On October 18, 2018 the II Annual Oil-and-Fat Industry Conference organized by the ProAgro Group Information Company and supported by the Donau Soja successfully took place in Kyiv city Ukraine.
The conference gathered together more than 60 participants from different Ukrainian and foreign companies which are engaged in the oil and fat industry, among them – agro holdings, producers and processors, traders, suppliers of the storage and processing equipment, banks, NGOs, media representatives, etc.
Within the framework of the event, the Donau Soja organized a panel discussion on the topic “Non-GMO soybean production: market potential for development of oil and fat industry” which generated great interest from the participants and led to a lively discussion. Oksana Prosolenko, Country Director of the Donau Soja (Ukraine) together with the leading supporters of the non-GMO production in Ukraine, such as the representatives of the Ukrainian Association of Producers and Processors of Soybeans, Organic Federation of Ukraine and Astarta-Kyiv Agri-Industrial Holding, discussed local and international soybean market and its development prospects. Ms. Prosolenko familiarized the participants with world statistics on the non-GM soybean production: there are 4 countries in the world where the GMO-free soybeans is 100% – India, China, Russia and EU countries; as for Ukraine, international experts say that 60-70% of soybean crops cultivated in Ukraine are genetically modified. Ms. Prosolenko also told about the demand for “specialized” beans, such as organic, certified or non-GM beans, which is expected to rise as consumers want to verify the sustainability of food production and to be able to track its origin, which is important to know for the export oriented Ukrainian producers.
More details (in Ukrainian) on the event at the organizer’s website: http://www.proagro.com.ua/events/oil2018/14561.html
- On November 01, 2018 in Kyiv city, Ukraine the Round Table on “Discussing Legislative Initiatives in the field of GMO Regulation” was organized by the Information Center “Green Dossier” International Charitable Organization, Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine, European Union Support to Agricultural and Food Policy Implementation in Ukraine Project.
Donau Soja team members in Ukraine took an active part in the discussion of the problems regarding the legislative regulation of the GMO turnover in Ukraine and their solutions. Among the participants there were representatives of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine, the State Service of Ukraine for Food Safety and Consumer Protection, the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, Ukrainian and international experts and related NGOs.
The main issue of the event was the possibilities of the improvement of the current Ukrainian law regarding GMO turnover.
- 48% of Soya on the Ukrainian Fields is Genetically Modified – under this name the press conference organized by the Donau Soja (Ukraine) and the Agent Green (Romania) took place on November 02, 2018 in Kyiv city, Ukraine.
In summer 2018, the Agent Green investigators examined the soya crops in Ukraine for the presence of GMO. Samples of 10 different large soya fields from 6 regions of Ukraine (Poltava, Khmelnytskyi, Kyiv, Kirovohrad, Zhytomyr, Vinnytsia) were taken, in which more than a half of total production of soya beans in Ukraine are planted. Analysis of 60 samples taken showed that 29 of them contained GMO. That is considered illegal, since Ukraine allows to grow GMO plants on registered lines exclusively. But the State Register does not have any registered GMO-lines at present. The results of the research were described if the report prepared by the Agent Green, which became of the most discussed topics during the press conference.
The speakers of the event were the Country Director in Ukraine of the Donau Soja Organization Oksana Prosolenko, President of the Agent Green Association Gabriel Paun, Head of the State Service of Ukraine for Food Safety and Consumer Protection Volodymyr Lapa, Director General of the Directorate of the Food Product Safety and Quality at the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine Mykola Moroz, Operational Director of the Astarta-Kiev Agro-Industrial Holding Zeljko Erceg, Partner of the Arzinger Law Firm Oleksandr Plotnikov and Executive Director of the Seed Association of Ukraine Siuzana Hryhorenko.
The following issues were raised during the event: uncontrolled crops of the GM soya in Ukraine, availability of the GM products on the shelves in supermarkets, and inappropriate legislation regarding the GMO circulation.
The Agent Green report can be downloaded here.
- On November 06, 2018 a Donau Soja expert made a report on the European GMO-free soya market at the leading conference the "Fat-and-Oil Industry - 2018" organized in Kyiv city, Ukraine by the information agency APK-Inform.
Bertalan Kruppa, Soy Market Analyst of the Donau Soja made a presentation on the topic "European market of GM-free soybeans: opportunities for Ukraine" within the framework of the conference. As the EU is one of the world's largest importers of non-GMO products and Ukraine’s nearest neighbor, the expert’s presentation generated great interest from the participants who are interested in export to the EU.
The conference gathered together more than 300 people, among them: agricultural holdings, oilseed crushers and traders, global importers of vegetable oils, industry organizations, leading domestic and international agrarian experts, equipment manufacturers, key exporters and consumers of oilseeds and its by-products, representatives of scientific organizations, etc.
Learn more about the event: https://www.apk-inform.com/en/conferences/oil-2018/about
Briefly about the Donau Soja expert’s presentation at the link: https://www.apk-inform.com/en/news/1103302#.W-qq9pMzbIU
- Donau Soja (Ukraine) together with its partners organized one-day study programs “Live case on Non-GM soya cultivation: how to grow efficiently and get high profits” which were held during November-December in 5 cities of Ukraine.