Cooperation Austrian Development Agency
Building sustainable, inclusive and well-functioning value chains for non-GM soya and organic soya in Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova and Ukraine
The project goal of the strategic partnership with Donau Soja is to build sustainable, inclusive and well-functioning value chains for non-GM soya and organic soya in Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova and Ukraine until 2021.
By implementing this strategic partnership the competiveness of agricultural producers, processors (e.g. oil mills) and the food and feed industry will be enhanced and the access to domestic, regional and international markets will be improved. It is planned that by the end of the year 2021, 152,000 tons of soya will be certified by the four target countries.
The target group includes soya producers, collectors, processing plants (such as oil mills), feed producers and traders, and finally food producers (label users). In addition, input providers, public extension service providers, farmers` associations, agriculture and research institutes, certification and control bodies, ministries of agriculture and food safety agencies will benefit from capacity building activities. The indirect target group comprises all participants along the value chain where agricultural workers as well as consumers – in the four countries but also in EU and other non-EU-countries – will benefit from the planned activities.
The following activities will be conducted in order to systematically develop the soya markets in the 4 countries:
- trainings for producers to share knowledge and best practices in soya cultivation and processing
- capacity development of extension services
- the introduction of the Donau Soja quality system and labelling scheme
- the promotion of organic cultivation, market development and trade facilitation
- improvements of the business environment to favour soya production, processing, trade and use
- promotion of European standards in agricultural production
The Donau Soja structures that were already established in the four countries during the previous inception phase from 2015 to 2016 will be further strengthened.